What To Expect From Your Divorce Lawyer
The dissolution of marriage entails a lot of legal steps. Unless you are an experienced divorce lawyer yourself, it is best to have someone who understands the legal steps required to keep things moving during the divorce. And yet, you can’t help but feel a bit hesitant about hiring a lawyer, considering the cost that it requires.
Some of your friends may even tell you that you can go through the divorce process without legal assistance from an experienced lawyer. The thought of it may sound appealing, but will it give you the end that you want?
But a divorce lawyer can provide you with more than what you can expect. Below are some of the things you can expect the lawyer to do for you:
• Filing for the divorce application. A divorce lawyer can put together all the legal documents needed to file for the divorce in court formally. The more complicated process is not the filing itself, but the preparation of all the documents for submission.
• Negotiating for the separation of assets and liabilities. An experienced divorce lawyer can ensure that the division of assets and liabilities solely lies on what would be best for you and the children (if there are any). They can help you set aside the hurt and the pain that could only complicate the negotiation process.
• Talk about financial settlement out of court. Money is one of the issues that could make the divorce process challenging. You may be qualified for alimony, and only a divorce lawyer can help you talk about it without hesitation. Though settlement negotiations may be done out of court, having a lawyer will ensure that your best interest is protected at all times.
• Help set-up child support and alimony payments. A lawyer by your side will make sure that you can agree on the dates when such agreements should be fulfilled, how often and for how long. All these details may be difficult to settle when you start to become too emotional about what’s happening.
• Provide assistance in tracking down financial data. In some marriages, only one of the spouses is aware of the financial situation of the family. And if you are unlucky enough to be the other spouse who knows nothing about how much the marriage has or owes, you will need a good lawyer to help you track down all the financial data to be able to fight fairly during the negotiation process.
A divorce lawyer can be more than your legal representation in court. They can become your security blanket when everything else in your family life seems unstable. Let a divorce lawyer help you through the process.